Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sourdough

Have I mentioned lately how much I love sourdough? Really sour sourdough, where it makes the back of your teeth tingle because you can taste the acid.  I'm also learning that I prefer my sourdough with a little bit of enrichment, so using milk instead of water, and adding a couple tablespoons of butter to this really does it for me.  It's quickly becoming my go-to recipe for sourdough and everyone who has tried it has loved it.  The crust isn't very thick, and it doesn't take all my jaw strength to bite through it, so I really dig it.
Sourdough (enriched)

3 1/2 c bread flour
1 1/4 c milk
2 TB butter
2 tsp salt
1 c starter (100%H)

Oven - 400F, about 2 loaves, 2 days

In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix everything together until well hydrated.  You may need to add a little more milk to incorporate all the flour.  Mix with the dough hook on medium for about 6 mins until a smooth dough forms and cleans the sides and bottom of the bowl.  Turn into a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 6-8 hours.  Lightly degas and retard the dough in the fridge overnight.

Next morning, divide and shape while still cold, and proof until the dough is almost doubled, about 4-6 hours.  Bake in preheated 400F oven for about 40-50 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 195F.  Cool before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment